- paraffin wax
- nounfrom crude petroleum; used for candles and for preservative or waterproof coatings• Syn: ↑paraffin• Hypernyms: ↑wax
* * *nounsee paraffin I, 1a
* * *paraffin in its solid state.[1870-75]
* * *paraffin wax nounA white transparent crystalline substance consisting of a mixture of solid paraffins, produced by distillation of shale, coal, tar, wood, etc• • •Main Entry: ↑paraffin
* * *paraffin wax UK US noun [uncountable]a white substance used for making candlesThesaurus: oil used as fuel and in chemical productshyponym
* * *paraffin wax,solid paraffin, as distinct from paraffin oil.
* * *ˈparaffin wax [paraffin wax] noun uncountable
Useful english dictionary. 2012.